Best Garage Door Opener to Secure Your Home
The mechanism that operates a garage door is very crucial to the functionality of the home. Homeowners who have vehicles open and close the garage door frequently, and so they expect it to work flawlessly all the time. This is where installing the best garage door opener will come extremely handy.
Best in Quietness
Garage Door Opener
A garage door opener is a welcome upgrade to the way you safe keep your vehicles. This motorized assembly controls the opening and closing of the garage door using either a wall switch or a remote controller.
Most garage doors are designed for security and protection of your cars, but many people find it inconvenient to manually raise or lower the garage door. Hooking up your home with the best garage door opener makes things much more convenient for you.
Benefits of Using the Best Garage Door Opener
Although there are several garage door opening assemblies available in the market, installing the perfect device for your garage can work wonders in the way you use your garage. Here are some of the biggest advantages of using a garage door opener:
- Security: Aside from keeping your garage door closed unless you activate it through a control mechanism, some garage door openers are equipped with a security system such as rolling codes. Bottom line, the best garage door opener will only open or close at your discretion.
- Convenience: Instead of pulling up a heavy garage door with your bare hands, a garage door opener takes the physical exertion away from you. Aside from being able to open the garage door with a remote control, some products may be connected to your smartphones for easier access.
- Safety: Gone are the days when you need to watch your head for an accidental closing of the garage door. By hooking it up to an electronic opener, the door is kept securely in place. What’s more amazing is that some garage door openers are designed with sensors that interrupt the closing of the door when it senses an obstruction (say, your child, a house pet, or an incoming vehicle).
Choosing The Best Garage Door Opener
It is best to be aware of the primary features of the best garage door opener before deciding to buy one. Homeowners must check on the following:
One of the biggest differences between the best garage door opener products is the motor’s mechanism in lifting the door. For this purpose, you need to know the most common types of motors in most garage door openers:
- Chain-driven: A lot of the earlier models made use of chains to pull up and bring down the door. Because of the low cost of chains, garage door openers with this type of motor tend to be cheaper than others. Unfortunately, the chain mechanism creates a significant level of noise that may affect the peace and quiet in the rooms directly above the garage.
- Belt-driven: Although it has a similar mechanism as chain-driven motors, this type of motor does away with the noisy chains by using a rubber belt to hoist the door up or down. Compared to a chain, a rubber belt is softer and therefore less reliable.
- Screw-driven: A more modern way of bringing the garage door up or down is through the use of a steel screw that moves a trolley along a pre-installed track. This type of motor is stronger than belt motors and more silent than chain-driven motors.
- Direct drive: The latest trend in some of the best garage door opener devices makes use of a direct drive system that lets the motor move in an installed track together with the garage door. The result is a durable and extremely quiet setup. Because it’s a relatively new technology, expect this type to be the most expensive of the bunch.
Not all garage door openers are created equal, because some of them can carry heavier loads than the others. Check the weight of your garage door and ask which size of motor you will need.
The most common garage door opener motors fall into either ½ HP or ¾ HP, the latter of which can pull up garage doors more than 300 pounds.
The convenience of an automated garage door opener cannot be disregarded, but some people don’t like the idea of having to walk to the garage and control the door through a keypad. If you prefer to operate the garage door opener without leaving your car, a remote-controlled device will be an important feature that you may prefer. This allows you to open or close the garage door while you are inside the vehicle.
The latest models of garage door openers can now be accessed online, either through a smartphone or a remote PC. You may integrate the opener assembly with a mobile app, thereby allowing you access and control to the garage door opener from wherever you are.
Do you want the light inside your garage to automatically turn on or off when you open or close the garage door? Some garage door openers are equipped with this feature, to integrate with lighting fixtures. That way, you won’t come home to a dark garage.
In other varieties, a light beam is used to detect obstructions that may get hurt or damaged by a closing mechanism of the garage door. Imagine having your dog stay under a heavy descending garage door. With the interruption in the light beam caused by an obstruction, the closing mechanism may be stopped or reversed, depending on the situation.
Who wants a door that creaks or makes sounds as you open it? The same is true with garage door openers, because some devices may have motors that crank up too loudly or hum annoyingly as you operate them. If you are too sensitive to noise, a garage door opener using a chain-driven motor may not be the best product for you.
Choose the best garage door opener that comes with a battery backup. This will allow you to use the garage door even during a power outage.
This is useful particularly for small children when they accidentally pass through the garage door while it is about to close. The motion sensors will suspend its action once it detects any obstruction. If you want to ensure safety in your garage area, this factor should be a primary concern for you when choosing the best garage door opener.
Ease of installation
Putting a garage door opener shouldn’t sound like building a rocket ship! Some products come with instruction manuals that describe the installation and usage steps in detail. This will definitely come handy if you prefer to DIY your way into installing a garage door opener mechanism.
Having said this, don’t force yourself to install the device on your own, especially if the garage door opener has too many moving parts or has a complex wiring system. Sure, you can save on labor, but damaging the garage door or its opener may prove to be more expensive if you installed it incorrectly.
What good is a state-of-the-art garage door opener if you have no available space to install it in the garage? Measure the dimensions of your garage area and garage door, and use these figures as basis in choosing the perfect opener device. Better yet, ask the seller about space requirements for installation of the device.
There may be instances when you need to work in your garage, and not having proper ventilation may become a problem. For this particular issue, a garage door opener with a manual override feature may do the trick. Being able to manually control the system will allow air to go into the garage without having to rely on the door opener controls.
Top 3 Best Garage Door Opener Devices
Best in Quietness
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
When purchasing for the right garage door opener, look for the safety features that will allow you to have peace of mind at night and while you are away from home.
Out of the items on this list, the winner is LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series 8500 Jackshaft Operator for its perfect balance of features and price. While most modern garage door operating devices have similar features, its biggest edge over the competition is its sleek and compact design that keeps it hidden from plain sight.
Do you like our recommendations for the best garage door opener? Tell your friends about this buying guide so that they can also buy the perfect garage opener for their specific needs. If you agree with our picks or if you have additional recommendations, share them through the comments below!