Best Gooseneck Trailer Locks (Updated 2022)
Investing in gooseneck trailer locks is another way to effectively secure your prized heavy-duty gooseneck trailer away from thieves aside from using a good trailer hitch lock or anti-theft wheel locks. However, there are just too many options available on the market today. Hence, it can be quite challenging to pick which one is the best for your needs.
But fret not, because this is exactly what we're bringing you today. We've researched, sifted through different models, and compiled the best gooseneck trailer locks available for you to purchase. So sit back, relax, and read on to know more about how you can protect your trailer from those pesky thieves!
Check this: Best Trailer Pin Locks
Reviews on the Top 3 Best Gooseneck Trailer Locks
The Blaylock TL-50 coupler lock fits all gooseneck 2-5/16" style couplers, including most Bulldog, Superior, Stallion and, T.E.M. gooseneck style couplers. Additionally, it boasts an adjustable two-pin placement that lets you use it on your trailer while enjoying an easy custom fit.
This gooseneck coupler lock secures using a 3/8" diameter padlock (which is not included, by the way). It is especially designed for RVs, heavy trailers, livestock haulers, and other heavy-duty needs. Furthermore, this product features a solid hardened steel rod and high-grade aircraft aluminum as materials. To add, its design is also patented for maximum security when leaving a trailer unattended.
Check this: Best Trailer Door Locks
Lastly, the distance between its ears is 4-5/8" at the bottom and 4-7/8" at the top, so make sure to check your trailer to verify if it will fit without problems.
- Weight: 7.25lbs , 3.3kg
- Product dimensions (inches): 11.1" (28.19cm) x 7" (17.78cm) x 4.5"(11.43cm)
What Buyers Like
The Blaylock TL-50 earned praises for its solid construction that feels just right for heavy-duty needs. Many buyers felt more secure about leaving their trailers unattended because of its aircraft-grade aluminum body and hardened steel rod.
Also, the fact that this gooseneck lock is easy to install and take off is another popular feature. With that said, if you'd rather not deal with complicated systems that might be difficult to unlock -- especially when you're in a hurry -- then the TL-50 might just be the gooseneck trailer lock for your needs.
Check this: Best Reese Trailer Locks To Choose
In conclusion, if you're looking for the best gooseneck trailer lock that offers ample security and convenience, you should definitely look at this product from Blaylock. It's ideal for shoppers who are looking for something that doesn't require too much fuss to use. In spite of this, it still offers adequate protection against trailer theft.
However, if maximum security is what you're after, you might want to check out the next item on this list instead. Still, if an all-around and versatile lock is what you're aiming to buy, the TL-50 should tick off plenty of boxes. The fact that it isn't too expensive makes it a good choice for those who do not like to spend too much on a gooseneck trailer lock, as well.
This high-security gooseneck trailer lock from Ft. Knox Locks puts its boltcutter-proof qualification at the forefront of its specs. Also, it fits most gooseneck couplers, including the new low profile Bulldog BX1 round drop tube (but not the square BX1 version), and both round and square drop tube style couplers. It is constructed using welded steel. Lastly, with a bright yellow powder coat finish, this lock is definitely hard to miss.
The square opening on this gooseneck lock measures 4-3/4" on each side. Moreover, it works well with most puck-style locks.
According to the manufacturer, only high power tools and a cutting torch can possibly stand a chance against this particular model. To add, it also comes with a limited lifetime warranty for all manufacturing defects, which is reassuring given the price tag that it comes with.
Check this: Best Master Lock Trailer Locks
- Weight: 20lbs (9kg)
- Product dimensions (inches): 11.5" (29.21cm) x 8.5" (21.59cm) x 5" (12.7cm)
What Buyers Like
People who've bought this gooseneck trailer lock seemed to really relish the fact that it's boltcutter-proof and very hard to remove. Although it is pricier than most trailer locks, the peace of mind that it gives makes it worth the money spent.
The construction of this product is certainly heavy, and for some users the bright yellow aesthetic screams "highly-secure" and "impossible to steal" -- something that really helps ward off thieves. Although its heavy body makes it challenging to hold, it's not too hard to use it in general as far as locking and unlocking is concerned.
The price tag on this lock can understandably discourage frugal shoppers. However, if you're on the market for the most secure gooseneck trailer lock and you don't mind paying extra bucks for more peace of mind, then this Ft. Knox Locks product is the one for you. It provides solid protection, great aesthetics, and reliability in exchange for a comparatively-steep upfront cost.
Check this: Best Gooseneck Hitch Reviews
3) Master Lock Trailer Lock - Best for value
Already featured in our best trailer locks article, this gooseneck lock from Master Lock resists picking and prying through an advanced locking mechanism. Moreover, its design makes it easy to install and remove. Also, every single lock bought comes with two keys.
Because it fits 1-7/8", 2", and most 2-5/16" trailer couplers, this lock can be deemed as a pretty versatile bet. Furthermore, it's relatively lightweight for easier handling and transport.
As a guide, the length of its bolt measures 7/8". Also, the locks are assigned a key code -- and each code corresponds to a specific type of key. This means that some pieces are keyed alike, which is a potential con for some users.
Above all, it's worth noting that this product comes with a limited lifetime warranty for added peace of mind.
- Weight: 2.2lbs (1 kg)
- Product dimensions (inches): 5.6" (14.22cm) x 4.3" (10.92cm) x 2.8" (32.26cm)
What Buyers Like
One Amazon buyer noted that this product is strong enough to resist hammering and prying after an intruder unsuccessfully forced off this lock from his trailer. Likewise, many other customers expressed that they were pleased with how strong and solidly-constructed this gooseneck trailer lock is.
Furthermore, its solid stainless steel design looks sophisticated enough to ward off thieves. It's also pretty easy to handle and install because the lock itself is quite small. Finally, the fact that it costs only a few dollars above twenty bucks is a massive plus, as well.
Check this: Best Fifth Wheel Hitch Reviews
In conclusion, this contender from Master Lock is a viable choice for people who are looking for the best value. It doesn't come with highly-attractive features like the gooseneck trailer lock models listed before it (such as a boltcutter-proof exterior), but it still gets the job done and secures your gooseneck trailer hitch without putting a massive strain in your pocket.
Best Gooseneck Trailer Locks Buying Guide
How To Choose A Gooseneck Trailer Lock
Even though gooseneck trailer locks are designed to work with gooseneck trailers, not just any lock will work with any gooseneck trailer. There are some important considerations to make in order to pick a lock that will not only fit your trailer but also work well to deter thieves.
Below are the factors to keep in mind as you select a gooseneck trailer lock. Making these considerations will ensure that you end up with a lock that's compatible with your trailer and that you can count on to secure your trailer whenever you have to leave it unattended.
Will The Gooseneck Lock Fit Your Gooseneck Trailer Coupler Size and Style?
Each and every gooseneck trailer lock is designed to fit trailer couplers of a specific size. For example, a 5/8" lock won't fit a 1-1/4” receiver. Making sure the trailer lock you get is compatible with the size of your trailer coupler is, therefore the most important thing to do when buying a trailer lock. Here are the steps to take:
- Before you start shopping, measure the size of the trailer hitch receiver, the diameter of the opening, and the size of the coupler latch or hitch ball. Shopping with these measurements in mind is the best way to ensure you don't end up with a lock that doesn't fit.
- Gooseneck trailer locks are also designed to work with specific coupler styles. Whether your trailer has a round or square bulldog or drop tube style coupler, make sure the model of lock you get is designed to work with the style.
- If you plan to use the gooseneck trailer lock with multiple trailers, make sure the model is compatible with all of them. Alternatively, you can choose a universal or adjustable lock that will give a custom fit on any trailer.
- Lastly, find out whether the lock you're considering works with your brand of gooseneck trailer. You can check the manufacturer's description, peruse the user reviews, or ask the seller whether the lock works with your brand.
Is The Locking Mechanism Secure and Hard To Defeat?
In order for a trailer lock to do its job of deterring thieves, it should have a secure locking mechanism. A secure lock can not only discourage an opportunistic thief on the lookout for an easy target, but it can also draw out the breaking process and slow down a determined thief.
- Gooseneck trailer locks provide varying levels of security. Bolt-cutter-proof locks and locks with multiple locking points provide the utmost security for your trailer. Go for a model that not only locks the coupler but also secures the inner tube. Some models even lock the bolts and pin as well.
- Ever had a thief steal your trailer by removing your coupler and sliding their own in? Locks such as the GanderLock are designed to prevent this from happening. They require you to slide out the coupler and insert the lock so the thief can't remove the coupler and insert their own.
- Both keys and combinations are reliable locking mechanisms so you can opt go for the method you prefer. The most important thing is to ensure that the locks aren't easy to pick. Additionally, the lock should fit nice and tight so it isn't easy to pry with a pry bar or whack off with a hammer.
- If the trailer lock doesn't come with a padlock, choose a beefy one that isn't easy to pick or cut. This will add an extra measure of security against theft.
Does The Lock Have a Heavy-Duty and Corrosion Resistant Construction?
- Like any effective guard should, the best gooseneck trailer locks have a muscular build. A beefy appearance is a very effective warning for thieves to keep off. And for those really determined to make off with your trailer, a heavy-duty lock won't be easy to defeat. A lock that requires power tools to defeat is very effective at warding off thieves.
- Only a heavy-duty lock will hold up well to blows with a hammer. Unlike a soft metal, it will absorb the shock instead of breaking apart on impact. The lock cylinder should be strong as well. It should be hardened so it can survive cutting attempts. Finally, the pins and screws should be heavy-duty and welded in.
- As for materials, look for a trailer lock made of high-strength steel, zinc, or aircraft-grade aluminum. Besides the strength, these materials are resistant to rust and corrosion, which is an essential quality as you will be leaving the lock exposed to the elements.
- A stainless steel lock or one with a powder-coated finish is especially important if you will be leaving the lock out in the elements for extended durations. Powder-coated stainless steel construction can stand up to elements like rain, snow, and sleet.
- If the manufacturer backs the lock with a lifetime warranty, even better for your peace of mind. It shows the manufacturer is confident about their lock and you can rely on it to last.
Is The Gooseneck Trailer Lock Easy To Use?
Despite having a heavy-duty build, a gooseneck trailer shouldn't be too heavy that even you, as the owner of the trailer, have a difficult time using it. Remember that this is something you will be using quite often.
Locking it in place and removing it shouldn't take more than a single pair of hands. The process should be as simple as inserting the key, turning the key, pulling the shackle, and locking or unlocking.
The lock position should be easy to access and ergonomically designed so it's comfortable to use. You will appreciate an easy to use system when you're in a hurry to lock or unlock your trailer.
A good lock will strike the fine balance between ease of use and security. It will be easy for you to use while still giving an intruder a hard time.
What Is Your Budget?
A gooseneck trailer doesn't come cheap. It makes perfect sense to invest in the best gooseneck trailer lock to secure your valuable investment. You might have to shell out more money to get a high-security lock, but a good lock is worth its weight in gold.
After all, the most expensive purchase is the one that thieves will defeat easily and make away with your trailer. Even when you have insurance, making the claim, replacing the trailer, and getting your trailer setup is quite a hassle. It's wise to try your very best to avoid it.
However, you can still find a great lock on a budget. If you're on a tight budget, there are some top rated gooseneck trailer locks at affordable prices. All in all, the most important this is to determine your budget then set out to find the best lock for your money.
Top 3 Best Gooseneck Trailer Locks On the Market for You
The best gooseneck trailer locks should be strong, heavy-duty, and resistant to wear and corrosion because these features guarantee a high level of security. At this point, we all know that choosing the right lock is just as important as, say, choosing the best gooseneck hitch because all of them work together to ensure the best possible trailer experience. As a result, the options we've listed above all possess the aforementioned characteristics. This is what makes them so great at protecting your trailer from theft.
However, keep in mind that they have their own sets of pros and cons that you have to consider. Think hard about your budget, requirements, and trailer setup before shopping for your own. After that, you'll be able to determine the best gooseneck trailer lock for your own set of needs and requirements.
What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Lock?
A gooseneck trailer lock is a trailer lock designed to fit the gooseneck-like tube on a gooseneck trailer. Because of their heavy-duty build, gooseneck trailer locks work well for heavy trailers, livestock trailers, horse trailers, equipment haulers, RVs, and vehicles.
Do Gooseneck Trailer Locks Work?
Yes, gooseneck trailer locks are effective at deterring trailer theft. Using a heavy-duty gooseneck trailer is one of the best ways to secure a gooseneck trailer from thieves.
It will scare away opportunistic thieves who are on the lookout for an easy-to-steal trailer and ensure anyone determined and prepared to steal your trailer won't have an easy time doing it.
How Do You Secure A Gooseneck Trailer?
For maximum security of your gooseneck trailer, you can use a gooseneck trailer lock in tandem with a latch-style coupler lock, lock the wheels, and add a high-security padlock to the chains.
A trailer wheel lock, also referred to as a wheel boot or wheel clamp, locks the wheels in place making sure they can't be moved. This makes it impossible to wheel the trailer away even if the thief has defeated the trailer lock.
You can also use a ground anchor to make the trailer hard to move. These measures of security present multiple challenges for the thief to overcome. Because of this, most thieves will simply leave your trailer alone and look for easier targets.