Best Gooseneck Trailer Locks (Updated 2021)
Investing in gooseneck trailer locks is another way to effectively secure your prized heavy-duty gooseneck trailer away from thieves aside from using a good trailer hitch lock or anti-theft wheel locks. However, there are just too many options available on the market today. Hence, it can be quite challenging to pick which one is the best for your needs.
But fret not, because this is exactly what we're bringing you today. We've researched, sifted through different models, and compiled the best gooseneck trailer locks available for you to purchase. So sit back, relax, and read on to know more about how you can protect your trailer from those pesky thieves!
Check this: Best Trailer Pin Locks
Reviews on the Top 3 Best Gooseneck Trailer Locks
Best Gooseneck Trailer Locks Buying Guide
How To Choose A Gooseneck Trailer Lock
Even though gooseneck trailer locks are designed to work with gooseneck trailers, not just any lock will work with any gooseneck trailer. There are some important considerations to make in order to pick a lock that will not only fit your trailer but also work well to deter thieves.
Below are the factors to keep in mind as you select a gooseneck trailer lock. Making these considerations will ensure that you end up with a lock that's compatible with your trailer and that you can count on to secure your trailer whenever you have to leave it unattended.
Will The Gooseneck Lock Fit Your Gooseneck Trailer Coupler Size and Style?
Each and every gooseneck trailer lock is designed to fit trailer couplers of a specific size. For example, a 5/8" lock won't fit a 1-1/4” receiver. Making sure the trailer lock you get is compatible with the size of your trailer coupler is, therefore the most important thing to do when buying a trailer lock. Here are the steps to take:
- Before you start shopping, measure the size of the trailer hitch receiver, the diameter of the opening, and the size of the coupler latch or hitch ball. Shopping with these measurements in mind is the best way to ensure you don't end up with a lock that doesn't fit.
- Gooseneck trailer locks are also designed to work with specific coupler styles. Whether your trailer has a round or square bulldog or drop tube style coupler, make sure the model of lock you get is designed to work with the style.
- If you plan to use the gooseneck trailer lock with multiple trailers, make sure the model is compatible with all of them. Alternatively, you can choose a universal or adjustable lock that will give a custom fit on any trailer.
- Lastly, find out whether the lock you're considering works with your brand of gooseneck trailer. You can check the manufacturer's description, peruse the user reviews, or ask the seller whether the lock works with your brand.
Is The Locking Mechanism Secure and Hard To Defeat?
In order for a trailer lock to do its job of deterring thieves, it should have a secure locking mechanism. A secure lock can not only discourage an opportunistic thief on the lookout for an easy target, but it can also draw out the breaking process and slow down a determined thief.
- Gooseneck trailer locks provide varying levels of security. Bolt-cutter-proof locks and locks with multiple locking points provide the utmost security for your trailer. Go for a model that not only locks the coupler but also secures the inner tube. Some models even lock the bolts and pin as well.
- Ever had a thief steal your trailer by removing your coupler and sliding their own in? Locks such as the GanderLock are designed to prevent this from happening. They require you to slide out the coupler and insert the lock so the thief can't remove the coupler and insert their own.
- Both keys and combinations are reliable locking mechanisms so you can opt go for the method you prefer. The most important thing is to ensure that the locks aren't easy to pick. Additionally, the lock should fit nice and tight so it isn't easy to pry with a pry bar or whack off with a hammer.
- If the trailer lock doesn't come with a padlock, choose a beefy one that isn't easy to pick or cut. This will add an extra measure of security against theft.
Does The Lock Have a Heavy-Duty and Corrosion Resistant Construction?
- Like any effective guard should, the best gooseneck trailer locks have a muscular build. A beefy appearance is a very effective warning for thieves to keep off. And for those really determined to make off with your trailer, a heavy-duty lock won't be easy to defeat. A lock that requires power tools to defeat is very effective at warding off thieves.
- Only a heavy-duty lock will hold up well to blows with a hammer. Unlike a soft metal, it will absorb the shock instead of breaking apart on impact. The lock cylinder should be strong as well. It should be hardened so it can survive cutting attempts. Finally, the pins and screws should be heavy-duty and welded in.
- As for materials, look for a trailer lock made of high-strength steel, zinc, or aircraft-grade aluminum. Besides the strength, these materials are resistant to rust and corrosion, which is an essential quality as you will be leaving the lock exposed to the elements.
- A stainless steel lock or one with a powder-coated finish is especially important if you will be leaving the lock out in the elements for extended durations. Powder-coated stainless steel construction can stand up to elements like rain, snow, and sleet.
- If the manufacturer backs the lock with a lifetime warranty, even better for your peace of mind. It shows the manufacturer is confident about their lock and you can rely on it to last.
Is The Gooseneck Trailer Lock Easy To Use?
Despite having a heavy-duty build, a gooseneck trailer shouldn't be too heavy that even you, as the owner of the trailer, have a difficult time using it. Remember that this is something you will be using quite often.
Locking it in place and removing it shouldn't take more than a single pair of hands. The process should be as simple as inserting the key, turning the key, pulling the shackle, and locking or unlocking.
The lock position should be easy to access and ergonomically designed so it's comfortable to use. You will appreciate an easy to use system when you're in a hurry to lock or unlock your trailer.
A good lock will strike the fine balance between ease of use and security. It will be easy for you to use while still giving an intruder a hard time.
What Is Your Budget?
A gooseneck trailer doesn't come cheap. It makes perfect sense to invest in the best gooseneck trailer lock to secure your valuable investment. You might have to shell out more money to get a high-security lock, but a good lock is worth its weight in gold.
After all, the most expensive purchase is the one that thieves will defeat easily and make away with your trailer. Even when you have insurance, making the claim, replacing the trailer, and getting your trailer setup is quite a hassle. It's wise to try your very best to avoid it.
However, you can still find a great lock on a budget. If you're on a tight budget, there are some top rated gooseneck trailer locks at affordable prices. All in all, the most important this is to determine your budget then set out to find the best lock for your money.
Top 3 Best Gooseneck Trailer Locks On the Market for You
The best gooseneck trailer locks should be strong, heavy-duty, and resistant to wear and corrosion because these features guarantee a high level of security. At this point, we all know that choosing the right lock is just as important as, say, choosing the best gooseneck hitch because all of them work together to ensure the best possible trailer experience. As a result, the options we've listed above all possess the aforementioned characteristics. This is what makes them so great at protecting your trailer from theft.
However, keep in mind that they have their own sets of pros and cons that you have to consider. Think hard about your budget, requirements, and trailer setup before shopping for your own. After that, you'll be able to determine the best gooseneck trailer lock for your own set of needs and requirements.
What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Lock?
A gooseneck trailer lock is a trailer lock designed to fit the gooseneck-like tube on a gooseneck trailer. Because of their heavy-duty build, gooseneck trailer locks work well for heavy trailers, livestock trailers, horse trailers, equipment haulers, RVs, and vehicles.
Do Gooseneck Trailer Locks Work?
Yes, gooseneck trailer locks are effective at deterring trailer theft. Using a heavy-duty gooseneck trailer is one of the best ways to secure a gooseneck trailer from thieves.
It will scare away opportunistic thieves who are on the lookout for an easy-to-steal trailer and ensure anyone determined and prepared to steal your trailer won't have an easy time doing it.
How Do You Secure A Gooseneck Trailer?
For maximum security of your gooseneck trailer, you can use a gooseneck trailer lock in tandem with a latch-style coupler lock, lock the wheels, and add a high-security padlock to the chains.
A trailer wheel lock, also referred to as a wheel boot or wheel clamp, locks the wheels in place making sure they can't be moved. This makes it impossible to wheel the trailer away even if the thief has defeated the trailer lock.
You can also use a ground anchor to make the trailer hard to move. These measures of security present multiple challenges for the thief to overcome. Because of this, most thieves will simply leave your trailer alone and look for easier targets.