Facts Every Ram Truck Enthusiast Should Know
Whether you’re a seasoned buyer and driver of Ram trucks, or you’re hoping to break into this club next time you buy or lease a pickup, it’s always helpful — and interesting — to know as much as you can about the auto brand you support. Plus, next time you’re talking to your friend with a loyalty for any other automaker, you can drop some real knowledge on them.
Here are a handful of fun facts every Ram truck enthusiast should know.
The Ram 1500 Went Through a Recent Redesign
Ram trucks have been through a lot since their inception in 1981 — five generations, to be exact. A recent redesign ahead of the unveiling of the 2019 Ram 1500 at the North American International Auto Show gave us the basis for the model we see at dealerships today.
As Consumer Reports outlines, the redesigned pickup was lighter due to its materials and restyled on the inside and outside — but carried over its coil-spring rear Ram 1500 suspension. For a trip down memory lane, compare the current iteration of the Ram 1500 to earlier models sometime. If you’re in the market for a newer model, check out Ram deals for leasing and buying to get an idea of what’s currently available on the market in your area.
Ram Trucks Are Regulars at Winning Industry Awards
You can listen to what automakers say about their own vehicles all day long, but you’ll probably assume they’re using some degree of marketing speak. This is why third-party awards tend to shine more light on which brands, models and features are truly impressive.
Ram trucks have earned their fair share of awards in the past few years from many different sources, such as:
- J.D. Power: Trusted industry officials J.D. Power gave the 2020 Ram 1500 a “Best Performance” award in the large light-duty pickup category. This award is based on driver feedback about their experience with everything from what’s under the hood to how comfortable they are inside the cabin.
- U.S. News & World Report: This publication gave Ram the Best Truck Brand of 2020 “by a landslide” due to its upscale interior, infotainment options and quality ride.
- Edmunds: The experts at Edmunds gave the Ram 1500 their Best Full-Size Truck designation, noting how its rear suspension equipped with coil springs makes the ride extra comfortable for drivers and passengers.
Off-Road Aficionados Can Now Hit the Trails in a Ram
When you think of Ram trucks, the first thing that comes to mind probably isn’t off-roading. Maybe you think about commuting to work, carrying supplies home from the hardware store or towing the boat up to the lake house for the weekend, but these are very much on-road endeavors.
What you may not have heard is that the Ram 1500 TRX offers a powerful vehicle with the modifications necessary to leave the pavement. According to MotorTrend, notable aspects of the TRX include:
- Modified chassis for durability and lightness
- Adaptive shocks
- Locking rear differential
- Fortified rear axle
Another fun fact: The TRX engine — a 6.2-liter supercharged V8 capable of achieving over 700 horsepower and 650 lb./ft. of torque — is similar to the one found in the highly vaunted Dodge Hellcats.
Whether you’re an old-school Ram truck enthusiast who joined the family before the fifth-generation remodel was released, or you’re just now hoping to get behind the wheel of a Ram truck, it’s always good to do some research on the brand and features before visiting a dealership. You’ll learn some fun facts along the way and get a better idea of what the vehicles have to offer — from trim levels to pricing to what other drivers are saying.